- 1 How do you greet someone in Swedish?
- 2 How do you say good morning in Stockholm?
- 3 How do Swedes greet each other?
- 4 What are some Swedish sayings?
- 5 What is your name in Swedish?
- 6 Is Swedish hard to learn?
- 7 How do you pronounce Hej in Swedish?
- 8 How do you say good morning in Scottish?
- 9 What Tjena means?
- 10 Do Swedes kiss?
- 11 Do Swedish people like to hug?
- 12 Do Swedish people kiss as a greeting?
- 13 What is the longest Swedish word?
- 14 What is the Swedish name for Sweden?
How do you greet someone in Swedish?
Ways to greet a Swedish person
- Formal: God morgon/dag/kväll – Good morning/day/evening.
- Formal person trying to be funny: Goddagens – Good day/hello.
- Normal: Hej – Hello.
- Alternative: Hallå – Hello.
- Buddy-level: Tjenare – Hi.
- Close buddy (or colleague who drinks a lot of beer): Tja (short form of tjenare) – Yo.
How do you say good morning in Stockholm?
Greetings in Swedish
- hej or hej hej hi, hello.
- hejsan hi (informal)
- god dag hello; goodbye (the literal meaning is “good day”.
- god morgon good morning (commonly used until around 11am)
- god förmiddag good morning (commonly used from around 11am until noon)
- god middag good afternoon (commonly used around noon)
How do Swedes greet each other?
The most common greeting in Sweden is a handshake. It is usually firm and accompanied with direct eye contact. If people are far from one another, they may nod their head or raise their hand to greet another person. Friends and family will often hug when greeting one another.
What are some Swedish sayings?
Seven seriously silly Swedish sayings
- There’s no cow on the ice (det är ingen ko på isen)
- Med skägget i brevlådan (with your beard in the letter box)
- Det ligger en hund begraven (there’s a dog buried here)
- Ana ugglor i mossen (sensing owls in the bog)
- Inte ha rent mjöl i påsen (not have clean flour in one’s bag)
What is your name in Swedish?
Vad heter du? what is your name?
Is Swedish hard to learn?
Swedish is a category 1 language, according to the FSI. This means that learning it is just as easy for native English speakers as learning French or Spanish. So, this makes Swedish one of the easiest languages to learn. That’s very promising for those who want to begin their studies.
How do you pronounce Hej in Swedish?
- IPA: [ˈhɛj]
- Hyphenation: hej.
- Audio. (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛj.
- Homophone: hely.
How do you say good morning in Scottish?
Madainn mhath means good morning in Scottish Gaelic.
What Tjena means?
Tjena is short for tjenare which can also be spelled tjänare. It actually does come from the word tjänare (pronounced with a slightly longer äää), which means ‘ servant ‘, and the greeting can be traced back to around 1775 in its longer version mjuka tjänare (‘humble servant’).
Do Swedes kiss?
“Normal” Europeans like to kiss. Swedes don’t kiss, they hug. Whether the physical body contact of a hug is really more distant then a short kiss on the cheek is questionable, but maybe it’s because it’s so cold in the North, that Nordic people seize each chance to get some warmth.
Do Swedish people like to hug?
In Sweden, it is common to hug your friends and relatives when you see each other and when you say hello. If you meet someone new for the first time or if you are not so close to the person, you normally shake hands. Living in other countries change the way one greet others, even for the Swedes abroad.
Do Swedish people kiss as a greeting?
Towards the bottom of this interview HERE I mention it as one of the most embarrassing mistakes I’ve made in Sweden, going around kissing stand offish Swedes who generally like their personal space; at least until you are good friends.
What is the longest Swedish word?
Swedish. Realisationsvinstbeskattning (28 letters) is the longest word in Svenska Akademiens Ordlista. It means “capital gains taxation”, and is usually shortened to Reavinstskatt (same meaning). However, Swedish grammar makes it possible to create arbitrarily long words.
What is the Swedish name for Sweden?
Sverige is the Swedish word for ‘Sweden’; the name of the Scandinavian country to the east of Norway and Denmark.