- 1 What is Chuc Mung Nam Moi?
- 2 What do you say in Tet?
- 3 How do you wish someone a happy New Year?
- 4 What do you say when you receive Li Xi?
- 5 What to say when you get Li Xi?
- 6 What should I wear on Tet?
- 7 What should we not do during Tet?
- 8 Why is Tet so important?
- 9 How do you say happy New Year in short?
- 10 What do you say for New Years?
- 11 How do you respond to new years message?
What is Chuc Mung Nam Moi?
Translated from Vietnamese to English, this means “ Happy New Year!” Growing up in Alief where there was a Vietnamese-American presence, most all of my non-Viet friends knew this phrase. And today, I say it to you as it’s the New Year, according to the lunar calendar.
What do you say in Tet?
If those are too hard, at least say the most basic greeting: “Chúc mừng năm mới” (Happy new year). During Tet, children are given some lucky money. Therefore, prepare some red envelopes, of course with money inside, when you are invited to visit a Vietnamese family.
How do you wish someone a happy New Year?
“Here’s to a bright New Year and a fond farewell to the old; here’s to the things that are yet to come, and to the memories that we hold.” “May you have a prosperous New Year.” “Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year.” “May the New Year bless you with health, wealth, and happiness.”
What do you say when you receive Li Xi?
DO: Say “ Chuc Mung Nam Moi”, means “Happy New Year” when you meet someone. Give people good wishes. Give lucky money in the red envelopes (Li Xi) to those in close relationship, or offer some gifts related to luck.
What to say when you get Li Xi?
When receiving “Li Xi”, always use both hands and must avoid opening the envelop immediately to see how much money is put inside as this behavior is very rude in Vietnam culture. As a return to the lucky money you receive, always sincerely say “thank you” to the givers and don’t forget to give them best wishes, too.
What should I wear on Tet?
Tet is a special occasion that people wear new and beautiful outfits. The streets during Tet is full with colorful dresses, ao dai and other costumes. It is thought that colorful bright colors like red, yellow or blue can bring good luck and prosperity to people for the upcoming year.
What should we not do during Tet?
I. Don’ts During Tet in Vietnam
- Avoid entering Vietnamese’ house on the 1st day of Lunar New Year without invitation.
- Avoid wearing black or white, go for red.
- Avoid negative topics.
- Avoid demanding money during Tet.
- Do not eat duck meat, squids, shrimps during Tet.
- Don’t take water and fire away from Vietnamese houses.
Why is Tet so important?
What is Tet Festival? The full name for Tet is Tet Nguyen Dan. It is the most important and widely celebrated public festival of the year in Vietnam. It is the occasion for Vietnamese to express their respects for ancestors as well as welcoming the lunar New Year with family members.
How do you say happy New Year in short?
Life is short – dream big and make the most of 2022! May the New Year bring you happiness, peace, and prosperity. Wishing you a joyous 2022! Happy New Year!
What do you say for New Years?
Short New Year Wishes
- Have a sparkling New Year!
- New adventures are around the corner.
- Make way for 2021!
- I said this 365 days ago, but happy New Year!
- May the new year bless you with health, wealth, and happiness.
- Out with the old, in with the new!
- Here’s hoping you make the most of 2021!
How do you respond to new years message?
Thanks for inspiring me with your positive new year wishes. Thanks a lot for the beautiful New Year wishes… It really makes me feel special to know that you thought of me on this important yet busy day… I am truly blessed to have a friend like you who always keeps in touch….