- 1 How do the Islanders pronounce Caribbean?
- 2 Is Caribbean capitalized?
- 3 Is it pronounced Nike or Nikey?
- 4 How do you pronounce GIF?
- 5 Why do people say Caribbean wrong?
- 6 Whats the correct way to say caramel?
- 7 How do you use Caribbean in a sentence?
- 8 Where does Caribbean mean?
- 9 How do you pronounce the longest word Pneumonoultramicilscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?
- 10 How do locals pronounce Melbourne?
How do the Islanders pronounce Caribbean?
Most islanders say “ker-i-BEE-uhn,” and this is also the preferred pronunciation in most dictionaries. Like all dictionaries, the Merriam-Webster phonetically divides Caribbean into “ker-ə-bē-ən” and notes that the first recorded use was in 1772.
Is Caribbean capitalized?
Caribbean (adjective) Caribbean ( proper noun )
Is it pronounced Nike or Nikey?
Nike chairman Phillip Knight has confirmed that it’s “Nikey” not “Nike “, meaning I’ve essentially been talking nonsense for years. The great pronunciation debate, second only to that of ‘gif’ and ‘jif’, came to a head after Knight was sent a letter asking him to circle the correct way of saying the brand name.
How do you pronounce GIF?
“It’s pronounced JIF, not GIF.” Just like the peanut butter. “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations,” Wilhite told The New York Times. “They are wrong. It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.
Why do people say Caribbean wrong?
The correct “Caribbean” pronunciation “ Because accents vary from island to island, we all say the word a bit differently. “’Carib’ is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable: ‘CAR-ib. ‘ Therefore most natives of the islands pronounce ‘Caribbean’ with some version of emphasis on the first and third syllables.”
Whats the correct way to say caramel?
“The word caramel can acceptably be pronounced in several accepted ways, including KARR-uh-mel, KARR-uh-muhl, and, in North American English, KAR-muhl.
How do you use Caribbean in a sentence?
Caribbean sentence example
- The Caribbean air was heavy, the ocean chill warmer than the weather at the castle.
- In it she had even recognized where they were: the Caribbean Sanctuary, where she.d been before coming here.
Where does Caribbean mean?
Word forms: Caribbeans proper noun. The Caribbean is the sea which is between the West Indies, Central America, and the north coast of South America. adjective. Caribbean means belonging or relating to the Caribbean Sea and its islands, or to its people.
How do you pronounce the longest word Pneumonoultramicilscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis Pronunciation It is pronounced pneu·mo·no·ul·tra·mi·cro·scop·ic·sil·i·co·vol·ca·no·co·ni·o·sis.
How do locals pronounce Melbourne?
Melbourne ( Mel-bin ) To instantly feel like a Melbourne resident, rather than a visitor, pronounce the name as the locals do: Mel-bin.