- 1 What is Chuc Mung Nam Moi?
- 2 What do you say in Tet?
- 3 How do you wish Happy New Year in other words?
- 4 What do you say when you receive Li Xi?
- 5 What to say when you get Li Xi?
- 6 Why is Tet so important?
- 7 What should we not do during Tet?
- 8 What should I wear on Tet?
- 9 How do you say Happy New Year to a special person?
- 10 How do you write a New Years message?
- 11 What is the best New Year message?
What is Chuc Mung Nam Moi?
Translated from Vietnamese to English, this means “ Happy New Year!” Growing up in Alief where there was a Vietnamese-American presence, most all of my non-Viet friends knew this phrase. And today, I say it to you as it’s the New Year, according to the lunar calendar.
What do you say in Tet?
If those are too hard, at least say the most basic greeting: “Chúc mừng năm mới” (Happy new year). During Tet, children are given some lucky money. Therefore, prepare some red envelopes, of course with money inside, when you are invited to visit a Vietnamese family.
How do you wish Happy New Year in other words?
Other ways to say ‘Happy New Year’
- May the new year see you loving, giving and living!
- Happy New Year’s now and always!
- Have a wonderful New Year surrounded by those that mean most!
- May you fill your new near with new adventures, accomplishments, and learnings!
What do you say when you receive Li Xi?
DO: Say “ Chuc Mung Nam Moi”, means “Happy New Year” when you meet someone. Give people good wishes. Give lucky money in the red envelopes (Li Xi) to those in close relationship, or offer some gifts related to luck.
What to say when you get Li Xi?
When receiving “Li Xi”, always use both hands and must avoid opening the envelop immediately to see how much money is put inside as this behavior is very rude in Vietnam culture. As a return to the lucky money you receive, always sincerely say “thank you” to the givers and don’t forget to give them best wishes, too.
Why is Tet so important?
What is Tet Festival? The full name for Tet is Tet Nguyen Dan. It is the most important and widely celebrated public festival of the year in Vietnam. It is the occasion for Vietnamese to express their respects for ancestors as well as welcoming the lunar New Year with family members.
What should we not do during Tet?
I. Don’ts During Tet in Vietnam
- Avoid entering Vietnamese’ house on the 1st day of Lunar New Year without invitation.
- Avoid wearing black or white, go for red.
- Avoid negative topics.
- Avoid demanding money during Tet.
- Do not eat duck meat, squids, shrimps during Tet.
- Don’t take water and fire away from Vietnamese houses.
What should I wear on Tet?
Tet is a special occasion that people wear new and beautiful outfits. The streets during Tet is full with colorful dresses, ao dai and other costumes. It is thought that colorful bright colors like red, yellow or blue can bring good luck and prosperity to people for the upcoming year.
How do you say Happy New Year to a special person?
You are an amazing person and I am very happy that you are part of my life. I hope this New Year be filled with much joy and wonderful moments for you. Happy New Year! May this year give beautiful endless smile on your face!
How do you write a New Years message?
Short New Year Wishes
- Have a sparkling New Year!
- New adventures are around the corner.
- Make way for 2021!
- I said this 365 days ago, but happy New Year!
- May the new year bless you with health, wealth, and happiness.
- Out with the old, in with the new!
- Here’s hoping you make the most of 2021!
What is the best New Year message?
May God shower you and your family with love and happiness! Best wishes and seasons greeting for the New Year. Wishing you a blessed and prosperous New Year! May God bless you and your loved ones with prosperity, good health, and happiness in the New Year.