Want to practice assessing essays and learn more about essay corrections? If yes, then please check this out.
1. Is it related to the topic and thesis? (Stay on Target)
* A perfect score can be given.
* If the essay was slightly related to the topic, a score lower than 10 can be given but it can’t be lower than 5.
2. Can you clearly understand the essay? Is it concise and complete?
* The lowest score for this item is 5.
3. Does the writer use descriptive words? Or Does the writer describe in detail?
* This item is based on the word counter conversion.
17. An appropriate word for the sentence
* Base on the word counter conversion score, 1 point or 2 points could be added or subtracted depending on the number of inappropriate words.
4. Does the essay have a unique voice? (written Personally, creatively and with style)
* This item is always scored 5.
5. Is it in an essay format? (Every paragraph has a topic sentence) (Introduction, Body, Conclusion)
* The lowest score for this item is 5, even if the essay was presented in lines instead of paragraphs.
6. The introduction has a hook, general statements, and thesis. (exciting and inviting)
7. The conclusion has a restatement, summary, opinion.
9. Ideas are logically organized and in a meaningful way.
* The lowest score for items #6, #7 and #9 is 3.
8. The writer uses transitional words or logical connectors. (Therefore, In addition, On the other hand)
10. Correct Punctuation (commas, colons, semi-colons, periods)
11. Correct Capitalization
* A perfect score can be given for items #8, #10 and #11 if there are no corrections.
* A score of zero can be given if the essay didn’t contain any transition words, correct punctuation, or correct capitalization.
12. No Run-on Sentences
14. No Fragments (not a complete sentence)
* Items #12 and #14 should be scored interdependently.
13. Sentences maintain one tense
16. Subject & Verb Agreements
* Items #13 and #16 should be scored interdependently.
15. Sentences in different length
* Consider the use of simple, compound, complex and compound-complex sentences.
18. Evidence of Editing (spelling check, careless mistakes)
* A score of 1 is given if the essay has spelling or other careless mistakes.
* A perfect score can be given if there are no spelling or careless mistakes.
19. Each paragraph has one main idea.
* A score of 1 is given if the whole essay was presented in one paragraph with one main idea or the essay was written in lines.
* A score of 2 is given if 2 paragraphs have one main idea.
* A score of 3 is given if each paragraph has one main idea each.
TO TAKE THE QUIZ, CLICK HERE.
***DISCLAIMER: The Iamdouzone Blog doesn’t own any of the pictures, videos, articles or excerpt of the article/s featured above. Credits to the owner/s were properly stated.