Mignon Fogarty of Grammar Girl gave the following rules that will help us learn how to use affect and effect.
1. Effect functions as a noun most of the time. It has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but “a result” seems to be at the core of all the definitions.
- The effect was eye-popping
- The sound effects were amazing
1. Affect with ‘an a’ means “to influence.” Affect can also mean, roughly, “to act in a way that you don’t feel. It functions as a verb most of the time.
- The arrows affected Aardvark.
- She affected an air of superiority.
To read more, please click here.
To take the quiz, please click here.