Want to practice assessing essays and learn more about essay corrections? If yes, then please check this out.
Tutor Comment and Scoring
– Does the writer use descriptive words? Or Does the writer describe in detail?
– An appropriate word for the sentence
*These two items are based on the word counter conversion.
Score for the appropriate words used can be +1 or +2 based on the score of the descriptive words used.
2. The categories No Run-on Sentences and No Fragments work hand-in hand.
– Run-on: A grammatically faulty sentence in which two or more main or independent clauses are joined without a word to connect them or a punctuation mark to separate them
– Sentence fragment: groups of words that look like sentences, but aren’t. To be a sentence, groups of words need to have at least one independent clause. An independent clause is any group of words that contain both a subject and a verb and can stand on its own.
3. For tutor comment, this should include the ff:
– At least four lines
– Include encouraging sentences [what the student did well in the essay]
– Tips for improvement on the three categories with the most number of corrections
– Writing tips on essays
4. Scoring a zero
– Check if the essay contains transitional words. A score of ZERO can be given IF the essay didn’t contain any transition words.
– A score of ZERO can be given IF the essay didn’t contain any punctuation marks.
– A score of 1 if there is at least one error on capitalization. A score of ZERO can be given IF the essay didn’t contain correctly capitalized words.
5. The lowest score for these categories is 3.
– The introduction has a hook, general statements, and thesis. (exciting and inviting)
– The conclusion has a restatement, summary, opinion
To take the quiz, click here.