Want to know when to use say and tell? Check this out.
http://www.englishclub.com listed the following rules that can help us remember when to use say and tell:
- Tell is usually with a personal object while say is without a personal object.
- With say, we sometimes use “to someone”.
- We can use say with direct speech while tell only with direct speech that is an instruction or information.
- We can use say with direct questions, but we cannot use tell.
- We can use say and tell to talk about reported information.
For more info on this, please click here.